Stonington Taverns & Hotels

Name/Title

Stonington Taverns & Hotels

Entry/Object ID

2018.273.017

Scope and Content

A collection of manuscripts relating to the taverns and hotels that previously stood in the Borough in the nineteenth century. Swan's Tavern, 1817 - description of the building, owners, and the visit from President James Monroe, Andrew Jackson, and Martin Van Buren. Also discusses the destruction of the tavern in a fire in 1835. Burdick Tavern, or Temperance House, 1849 - description of the building and anecdotes about the owners, Oliver and Sukey, as well as other associated characters. Includes a brief architectural description. Steamboat Hotel, 1846 - built by Gilbert Wheeler, anecdotes about the days of the Hotel and successive owners. On the reverse of this paper is a brief description of York's Hotel/Tavern c. 1799. The American House, 1836 - built by Samuel Chesebro, with architectural description and a listing of owners. On the back of the first page is a brief description of the "Old Fanning House." Chesebrough Hotel, 1835 - kept by Ezra Chesebro, includes description and ancedotes of clientele. Also discusses the fire that destroyed the building. The Eagle Hotel - location, built by D. Hyde, discusses the fire that destroyed it in 1861. Also included is a copy of a newspaper advertisement submitted by Mary Burdick for her runaway husband, 1805. There is also a small note concerning a story told by Mrs. Oliver Chesebro.

Collection

Manuscript