Name/Title
maps copied from Stonington township filed in Cartographic Division - Stonington Harbor, CTEntry/Object ID
2002.0105.012Scope and Content
Stonington Harbor, Conn. surveyed in the summer of 1871 under the direction of Maj. Gen. G. K. Warren of the Engineers, by John H. Dager, assisted by Gen. H. A. Frink. Note on map: The soundings in blue were made in 1871, in black...in January 1874. High water at Stonington 31 minutes earlier than at Westerly, the new Wharf and Old Steamboat Wharf were located in June 1874. Accessioned July 1, 1874, Engineers Office, Newport, to accompany the Annual Report. (In the middle of the harbor, off the old breakwater is "Penguin Shoal", also "Penguin Buoy". Is it possible that the sealer, "Penguin", went aground on it in the 1830s? There is a jetty proposed off the end of Wamphassuc Point, in a south by east direction; a breakwater proposed off the end of the Lighthouse Point bearing south by west.) #K82Collection
National Archives Maps