Name/Title
PaintingEntry/Object ID
2009.500.0170Description
Panel painting of the S.S. "City of Macon." This view depicts the port side of the vessel under sail. written on back: "Panel from south front room of 'Colonial House' built about 1700 by John Whiting. Bought 1829 by Capt. Franklin Noyes, Stonington, Conn. Now owned by his son Nathaniel Pendleton Noyes. [Probably the work of donor's brother, CEP Noyes, Lighthouse keeper 1869-72). Presented to Historical Society Nov. 3, 1922."
Coastal Steamship CITY OF MACON launched by John Roach & Son, Chester, Pennsylvania on August 23, 1877, for the Ocean Steamship Company of Savanna. Iron hull, 272 feet in length. Powered by a compound steam engine. Speed 12.5 knots. Operated between New York and Savannah unti January 1884, and after that between Boston and Savannah. Sold to the Merchants and Miners Transportation Co. in 1902 and renamed LEXINGTON. Converted to a collier (coal carrier) in 1917. Scrapped in 1923.Collection
Lighthouse Collection