Name/Title
"Count the Masts"Entry/Object ID
2002.0613.530Scope and Content
Newspaper photo from Boston Sunday Herald Feb. 12, 1956 of six-masted "William L. Douglas"
Caption reads: G. H. Banks of Cambridge wrote The Herald questioning a statement that the Thomas W. Lawson was the only seven-masted vessel on the seas and suggested the William L. Douglas, shown above, was also a seven-master. Frank Leahy of Bethlehem Steel's Quincy Yard, which built both ships, sent this picture of the Douglas showing only six masts."Collection
Dorothea Hewitt Gould Collection