Eugene Atwood House, 53 Church Street

Name/Title

Eugene Atwood House, 53 Church Street

Entry/Object ID

2025.212.7

Description

A photograph of the home at 53 Main Street, before the 1926 renovations. The home was originally built in 1871 by Reverend Samuel Dexter Denison on the property that had belonged to his father, Samuel Fish Denison. By 1888, Mr. Eugene Atwood had purchased the property. In 1926, the house had incorporated all the hallmarks of a colonial revival style – white clapboards, shutters, the wrap-around porch supported by Doric columns, and the balustrade walkway around the second floor reminiscent of “widow’s walks.” Brick and mortar were placed between the wooden beams in the 1926 renovation, and allegedly during the 1938 hurricane, the basement of the house did not flood an inch. The reverse of this photograph refers to it as the Eugene Atwood House, placing the photograph between 1888 and 1926. This is likely after 1900, considering the growth of ivy on the front of the house in comparison to other photographs also referenced as the "Eugene Atwood House".

Collection

Photographs

Made/Created

Date made

1888 - 1926

Time Period

20th Century