Name/Title
53 Church Street, Atwood HomeEntry/Object ID
2025.212.9Description
A photograph of the home at 53 Main Street, before the 1926 renovations. The home was originally built in 1871 by Reverend Samuel Dexter Denison on the property that had belonged to his father, Samuel Fish Denison. By 1888, Mr. Eugene Atwood had purchased the property. In 1926, the house had incorporated all the hallmarks of a colonial revival style – white clapboards, shutters, the wrap-around porch supported by Doric columns, and the balustrade walkway around the second floor reminiscent of “widow’s walks.” Brick and mortar were placed between the wooden beams in the 1926 renovation, and allegedly during the 1938 hurricane, the basement of the house did not flood an inch.
The reverse of this photograph refers to it as the Eugene Atwood House, placing the photograph between 1888 and 1926. This is likely closer to 1900, in comparison to 2025.212.7 which shows a large growth of ivy from the plantings here. This also features a small tent in the front yard, where a child is playing. The Borough School is visible at left.Collection
PhotographsMade/Created
Date made
1888 - 1926Time Period
20th Century