Florence Hardy

Florence Hardy 1897-1975: History Fort Lauderdale Photograph Collection
Florence Hardy 1897-1975

History Fort Lauderdale Photograph Collection

Name/Title

Florence Hardy

Entry/Object ID

5-5902

Tags

Florence Hardy, Women's History

Description

Florence Hardy 1897-1975

Photograph Details

Subject Person or Organization

Florence C. Hardy

Collection

History Fort Lauderdale Photograph Collection

Cataloged By

Emeri Cejka

Category

photographs

Location

Location

Building

Historic Photograph Collection

Date

March 6, 2024

General Notes

Note Type

Historical Note

Note

Florence Hardy 1897-1975 Florence Hardy moved to Fort Lauderdale in 1924 from Pawtucket, Rhode Island. She began work with the Chamber of Commerce and worked closely with William T. Morang who built the canals, finger islands, and bridges on the north side of Las Olas Boulevard. In 1928 she became the first City Clerk for the City of Fort Lauderdale and held the position until she retired in 1963. There were several instances throughout her tenure she was appointed acting City Manager, the first woman to serve in that position. In 1962 Florence Hardy helped found the Fort Lauderdale Historical Society and became its President in 1964. She served as President and Director until she passed away in 1975. She was widely recognized as an authority on Broward County and Fort Lauderdale history. A storehouse of knowledge on the functions of city government, she was appointed Broward County Historian by the Broward County Commission in 1972. “I’d rather be studying history than something else without any meaning”. Florence was a charter member and service chairman of the Zonta Club and she would often give presentations entitled “Know Your Fort Lauderdale” to various civic groups. Her work throughout the City of Fort Lauderdale awarded her many accolades, such as the Rotary Award for Civic Accomplishment, Prospect Hall Award for Distinguished Business Women, and a Women of Achievement Award from the Business and Professional Women’s Club. In 1963, South Side Park was renamed and rededicated as “Florence C. Hardy Park” by the Fort Lauderdale City Commission.

Created By

eandrews@historyfortlauderdale.org

Create Date

March 6, 2024

Updated By

eandrews@historyfortlauderdale.org

Update Date

March 6, 2024