Ivy Stranahan at Dania Reservation

Ivy Cromartie Stranahan 1881-1971: U.S. Representative Dwight Rogers and Ivy Stranahan at Dania Reservation
Ivy Cromartie Stranahan 1881-1971

U.S. Representative Dwight Rogers and Ivy Stranahan at Dania Reservation

Name/Title

Ivy Stranahan at Dania Reservation

Entry/Object ID

5-8472

Tags

Women's History, Stranahan, Ivy Stranahan, Seminoles

Description

Two white women and white man sitting with twelve Seminole Indian children in front of an open doorway of a white, wood frame building. Building has number "4" on door frame and sign "U.S. Gov't Property Keep Out". Ivy Stranahan standing to far left. Man in suit and glasses is U.S. Representative Dwight L. Rogers.

Photograph Details

Subject Person or Organization

Ivy Stranahan

Collection

Historic Photograph Collection, Women's History, Gene Hyde Photograph Collection

Cataloged By

TLB

Category

photographs

Made/Created

Notes

Film Size: 35mm Negative No.: 5-8472

Lexicon

Nomenclature 4.0

Nomenclature Secondary Object Term

Print, Photographic

Nomenclature Primary Object Term

Photograph

Nomenclature Sub-Class

Graphic Documents

Nomenclature Class

Documentary Objects

Nomenclature Category

Category 08: Communication Objects

LOC Thesaurus for Graphic Materials

Native peoples, Congressmen

Search Terms

Native Americans, Seminoles

Other Names and Numbers

Other Numbers

Number Type

Other Number

Other Number

71.1.365

Maintenance

Maintenance History

Date

Aug 8, 2007

Relationships

Related Person or Organization

Person or Organization

Seminoles

Person or Organization

Stranahan, Ivy (Cromartie)

Person or Organization

Rogers, Dwight L. Representative

General Notes

Note Type

Historical Note

Note

Ivy Cromartie Stranahan 1881-1971 Ivy Cromartie Stranahan lived and led a long and interesting life. Born in White Springs, FL in 1881, she moved with her family southward several times before settling in Lemon City. After graduating in 1899 and taking her teacher’s exam, Ivy accepted the position to become the first school teacher in Fort Lauderdale. Once here, she met Frank Stranahan, who ran a trading post on the New River. A year later they married at the Miami Methodist Church South and Ivy stopped formally teaching school. As the First Lady of Fort Lauderdale, Ivy helped Frank lay the roots by which the city took hold. No longer a formal school teacher, she worked closely with the Seminole Indians in the field of education. Additionally, Ivy helped to establish a Seminole reservation in Davie and continued to invest her time and interest in Seminole affairs. An active in the women’s suffrage movement, Ivy fought alongside Mr. and Mrs. William Jennings Bryan for women’s rights. Ivy would go on to become the President of the Women’s Suffrage Association of Florida. In 1917, she circulated petitions that led to women getting to vote in Fort Lauderdale city of elections. In 1920, she successfully lobbied the Florida Legislature to ratify the 19th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. Ivy participated in many other activities including establishing the Women’s Civic Improvement Association (Women’s Club) in 1911, establishing the Friends of the Seminoles in 1932, and was very active in both the Garden Club and the Seventh Day Adventist Church. In 1962, she set up the Stranahan Trust for the Fort Lauderdale Historical Society and until her passing Ivy was a trustee of the Historical Society. U.S. Representative Dwight Rogers and Ivy Stranahan at Dania Reservation. Ivy Stranahan also served several years on the Fort Lauderdale Planning and Zoning Board and was a champion of preserving natural beauty throughout the city. Ivy strived to preserve and maintain the natural beauty of the city for future generations to enjoy. For seventy years, Ivy lived in the trading post that her husband Frank had built in 1901. From there she could watch the yachts cruise up the New River where once only dugout canoes traveled. Ivy Stranahan was indeed “The Mother of Fort Lauderdale.”

Created By

admin@catalogit.app

Create Date

January 23, 2008

Updated By

eandrews@historyfortlauderdale.org

Update Date

December 20, 2023