Name/Title
Florence HardyEntry/Object ID
H4003.2Tags
Women's History, Florence HardyDescription
Florence HardyPhotograph Details
Subject Person or Organization
Florence C. HardyCollection
Women's History, History Fort Lauderdale Photograph Collection, Gene Hyde Photograph CollectionCataloged By
Emeri CejkaLexicon
Nomenclature 4.0
Nomenclature Secondary Object Term
Print, PhotographicNomenclature Primary Object Term
PhotographNomenclature Sub-Class
Graphic DocumentsNomenclature Class
Documentary ObjectsNomenclature Category
Category 08: Communication ObjectsGeneral Notes
Note Type
Historical NoteNote
Florence Hardy 1897-1975
Florence Hardy moved to Fort Lauderdale in 1924 from New England. She began work with the
Chamber of Commerce and worked closely with William T. Morang who built the canals, finger islands,
and bridges on the north side of Las Olas Boulevard. In 1928 she became the first City Clerk for the City
of Fort Lauderdale and held the position until she retired in 1963. There were several instances
throughout her tenure she was appointed acting City Manager, the first woman to serve in that position.
In 1962 Florence Hardy helped found the Fort Lauderdale Historical Society and became its President in
1964. She served as President and Director until she passed away in 1975. She was widely recognized
as an authority on Broward County and Fort Lauderdale history. A storehouse of knowledge on the
functions of city government, she was appointed Broward County Historian by the Broward County
Commission. In 1963, South Side Park was renamed and rededicated as “Florence C. Hardy Park” by the
Fort Lauderdale City Commission.Created By
eandrews@historyfortlauderdale.orgCreate Date
November 28, 2023Updated By
eandrews@historyfortlauderdale.orgUpdate Date
November 28, 2023