Edith Lewis and Lillie Mae Smith

Edith Lewis 1889-1983/ Lillie Mae Smith 1892-1990

Edith Lewis 1889-1983/ Lillie Mae Smith 1892-1990

Name/Title

Edith Lewis and Lillie Mae Smith

Entry/Object ID

5-8824

Tags

Women's History, Edith Lewis, Lillie Mae Smith

Description

Left to Right - Edith Lewis, Lillie Mae Smith

Photograph Details

Subject Person or Organization

Edith Lewis, Lillie Mae smith

Collection

Women's History, History Fort Lauderdale Photograph Collection

Cataloged By

Emeri Cejka

Category

photographs

Lexicon

Nomenclature 4.0

Nomenclature Secondary Object Term

Print, Photographic

Nomenclature Primary Object Term

Photograph

Nomenclature Sub-Class

Graphic Documents

Nomenclature Class

Documentary Objects

Nomenclature Category

Category 08: Communication Objects

General Notes

Note Type

Historical Note

Note

Edith Lewis 1889-1983 Edith Lewis was born on a farm near Salina, Kansas, homesteaded by her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Ebenezer Washburn. After graduating high school, she attended the Teacher’s Institute in Salina, Kansas where she received her diploma and began teaching at the Eff Creek School until her marriage. In 1913 Edith and her husband moved to Fort Lauderdale. In 1914 she began working at H.G. Wheeler Department store, less than one block north of the New River on Brickell Ave. At this time there were two departments in the store, Lady’s and Men’s. Edith managed the Lady’s department. A member of the Rebekah Lodge No. 30, she served as Noble Grand in her lodge in Kansas, also the Caloosa Lodge in Fort Lauderdale. In 1917 she was appointed as the district deputy for the jurisdiction of Fort Lauderdale. In 1921 Edith became a charter member of the American Legion Auxiliary in Fort Lauderdale. She served for two years as President and four years as Secretary, besides serving as Chairman of many committees. In 1925 Edith served as Chairman of the State Legion Auxiliary convention held in Fort Lauderdale. Edith became a charter member of the Business and Professional Women’s Club of Fort Lauderdale in 1926. She served as club president in 1930-1931 and again in 1940-1941. Edith began her employment at the Broward County Credit Bureau on October 3, 1945, and retired November 17, 1970. In 1950, Joe Graham, then owner of the Credit Bureau, said he would like to see a Credit Women’s Breakfast Club formed in Fort Lauderdale. He asked Edith if she would help organize it since she already had club experience. In a short amount of time, with the help of the Miami club and Mr. Graham, the Women’s Credit Club was formed in Fort Lauderdale with Edith Lewis serving as its first President.

Note Type

Historical Note

Note

Lillie Mae Smith 1892-1990 Lillie Mae Smith arrived in Fort Lauderdale from Ludowici, Georgia in 1921. That same year she became Broward County’s first female tax collector. A position she held from 1921-1929. She experienced some of Fort Lauderdale’s most tumultuous times during her service with the county. Often referring to these times as the “3 B’s”, which stood for the Boom, the Blow, and the Bust. The Boom represented the real estate and building surge, the Blow for the 1926 hurricane, and the Bust was the Great Depression. L to R: Mrs. Edith Lewis, Miss Lillie Mae Smith, Miss Cromer, Miss Vincens, Eleanor Boyd, and Mrs. Taylor. History Fort Lauderdale Photograph Collection After her retirement from the Tax Collector’s Office, Lillie joined her brother, John H. Smith, and operated Sinclair Gasoline Service Station at the Corner of Las Olas Blvd. and Federal Highway until the early 1940s. Lillie was an active member of the community. She was a member and served as the President of the Business and Women’s Professional Club. A member of the First Baptist Church of Fort Lauderdale and the Order of the Eastern Star, Lillie received several honors from the pioneers of Fort Lauderdale for her “faith, foresightedness and devotion to our town.” History Fort Lauderdale Photograph Collection

Created By

eandrews@historyfortlauderdale.org

Create Date

November 28, 2023

Updated By

eandrews@historyfortlauderdale.org

Update Date

December 5, 2023