Hotel George Washington

Name/Title

Hotel George Washington

Entry/Object ID

2016.019.012

Description

Hotel George Washington 305-7 W. Adams Street Architect: Marsh & Saxelbye Completed and opened in 1926 (December 15) and closed in 1970 due to financial troubles. The George Washington was a thirteen story building with 260 rooms. The Hotel was the first in the nation to to become completley air conditioned and it had one of the first parking garages directly connected with the lobby. The George Washington Hotel had many famous visitors throughout its exsistence including, Charles A. Lindbergh after his historic 1927 flight and the Beatles in 1964. During the big band days of the 1930s-40s, the hotel's Rainbow Room attracted name entertainment and was a popular dance spot. The room later became the George Washinton Streak House. It's huge auditorium was built in 1941, and it was the only place in the city, other than the armory, that was big enough for large scale entertainment and was the scene of plays, symphony concerts, auto shows and high school graduations. The Kloeppel family, who owned the hotel, sold to Caterers of Chicago owned by WIlliam H. Johnston Jr., in 1963. Caterers sold to Jay-Adams Corporation six years later and folded shortly after, reverting ownership to Caterers. Plans to demolish the building were formed in 1972. It is now a parking lot.

Collection

Woodward Photo Collection

Made/Created

Studio

The Woodward Studio, Inc.

Lexicon

Nomenclature 4.0

Nomenclature Secondary Object Term

Photograph, Black-and-White

Nomenclature Primary Object Term

Photograph

Nomenclature Sub-Class

Graphic Documents

Nomenclature Class

Documentary Objects

Nomenclature Category

Category 08: Communication Objects