Name/Title
West Riverside SchoolEntry/Object ID
2016.019.017Description
West Riverside School (also known as West Riverside Elementary School) with children outside the school.
NW corner of Herschel and James (2801 Herschel Street)
Architect: Original Unknown in 1911; additions H.J. Klutho in 1916 and 1922
Originally built in 1911 as a Neo-Classical Revival brick building with four monumental Doric columns supporting a portico (similar to Annie Lytle and West Springfield Elementary) by an unknown architect.
In 1916, Klutho enlarged the building to almost double its original width on Herschel Street. Klutho retained the classical portico in his revision but added dormers with Prairie School style decorative grilles. Installed on the roof were louvered cupolas, with one large one in the center of the building and two smaller ones over the newly added wings. He also constructed two open-air classrooms on the rear side of the second story.
In 1922, Klutho completely changed the school to a Mediterranean Revival style. The Doric columns and portico were removed and a Spanish style facade was added. The brick exterior was stuccoed over and additional wings were added in the rear. The incised pediment above the main entrance repeats a trait that Klutho used on many of his earlier Prairie-style buildings.
In 1927, the principal was Florence L. Hughes.
In 1936, the school was remodeled again by enclosing the open -air classrooms and removing the cupolas.Collection
Woodward Photo CollectionMade/Created
Studio
The Woodward Studio, Inc.Lexicon
Nomenclature 4.0
Nomenclature Secondary Object Term
Photograph, Black-and-WhiteNomenclature Primary Object Term
PhotographNomenclature Sub-Class
Graphic DocumentsNomenclature Class
Documentary ObjectsNomenclature Category
Category 08: Communication Objects