The Everett Hotel

Name/Title

The Everett Hotel

Entry/Object ID

2016.019.018

Description

Everett Hotel 235 W Bay Street Architect: Originally built in 1873 as the Grand National Hotel (former Judson House property, 1853 hotel), it was renamed The Everett in 1881. Nathaniel Webster of Massachusetts repaired and refurnished it at a cost of $90,000 and renamed it The Everett. The building had 150 guest rooms. In 1885, Webster decided to enlarge the hotel and built a six-story addition on the Forsyth Street side at an approximate cost of $100,000. In order to carry out this improvement, he borrowed $75,000 from the Penn Mutual Life Insurance Company and gave back the mortgage. The Everett fell into foreclosure in 1898 and Penn Mutual sold the Bay Street side (now the Everett) to Harry Mason and the Forsyth side (Aragon) to Dr. Neal Mitchell in 1900. The property was not burned in the Great Fire of 1901. The Everett was torn down in 1959.

Collection

Woodward Photo Collection

Made/Created

Studio

The Woodward Studio, Inc.

Lexicon

Nomenclature 4.0

Nomenclature Secondary Object Term

Photograph, Black-and-White

Nomenclature Primary Object Term

Photograph

Nomenclature Sub-Class

Graphic Documents

Nomenclature Class

Documentary Objects

Nomenclature Category

Category 08: Communication Objects