Carling Hotel

Name/Title

Carling Hotel

Entry/Object ID

2016.019.019

Description

Carling Hotel (notice the lack of marquee) 33-35 W Adams Street Architect: Thompson, Holmes, & Converse (New York) Opened September 1, 1926 as a thirteen-story hotel owned by the Dinkler Hotel Co. of Atlanta. It was named after Carling L. Dinkler, Vice-President of the hotel chain. It was described as having 300 rooms with bath, running ice water, and fans. The three lower stories are faced with Indiana Limestone. The opper stories are trimmed with terra-cotta and surmounted by a balustrade with limestone coping. The building was completely made of fire proof construction. In 1936, the hotel's name was changed to the Roosevelt. On December 29, 1963, a $350,000 fire killed twenty-two people in the hotel, which was filled with visitors for the Gator Bowl game the following day. The next year, the hotel closed. In the 1980s, it reopened as the Jacksonville Regency House, an apartment complex for retirees, but closed in 1989. While vacant, the building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1991. As of 2003, the building was renovated by Vestcor and opened in 2005 as an apartment complex, renamed again to The Carling.

Collection

Woodward Photo Collection

Made/Created

Studio

The Woodward Studio, Inc.

Lexicon

Nomenclature 4.0

Nomenclature Secondary Object Term

Photograph, Black-and-White

Nomenclature Primary Object Term

Photograph

Nomenclature Sub-Class

Graphic Documents

Nomenclature Class

Documentary Objects

Nomenclature Category

Category 08: Communication Objects