Mason Hotel

Name/Title

Mason Hotel

Entry/Object ID

2016.019.022

Description

Mason Hotel (later Mayflower Hotel) NW corner W Bay and Julia Streets (307 W. Bay) Architect: Harold Saxelbye designed Opened on New Years Eve 1913 by prominent industrialist George Mason to a crowd so large a reporter estimate its size to be around 82,369 people inside and outside the hotel. On November 29, 1929, Hotel Mason was purchased by Robert Kloeppel who owned and managed the George Washington Hotel and changed the name to the Mayflower. The Mayflower expanded in 1957, to add a parking garage and renovated the rooftop garden in 1962. The Mayflower had 200 rooms. The Mayflower Hotel closed on August 28, 1971, making it the fifth downtown hotel to close following the Seminole, Roosevelt, Jefferson and George Washington. On January 15, 1978, the Mayflower Hotel was demolished in eleven seconds by 150 pounds of explosives.

Collection

Woodward Photo Collection

Made/Created

Studio

The Woodward Studio, Inc.

Lexicon

Nomenclature 4.0

Nomenclature Secondary Object Term

Photograph, Black-and-White

Nomenclature Primary Object Term

Photograph

Nomenclature Sub-Class

Graphic Documents

Nomenclature Class

Documentary Objects

Nomenclature Category

Category 08: Communication Objects