Name/Title
Mason HotelEntry/Object ID
2016.019.023Description
Mason Hotel (later Mayflower Hotel)
NW corner W Bay and Julia Streets (307 W. Bay)
Architect:
Harold Saxelbye designed
Opened on New Years Eve 1913 by prominent industrialist George Mason to a crowd so large a reporter estimate its size to be around 82,369 people inside and outside the hotel.
On November 29, 1929, Hotel Mason was purchased by Robert Kloeppel who owned and managed the George Washington Hotel and changed the name to the Mayflower.
The Mayflower expanded in 1957, to add a parking garage and renovated the rooftop garden in 1962. The Mayflower had 200 rooms.
The Mayflower Hotel closed on August 28, 1971, making it the fifth downtown hotel to close following the Sminole, Roosevelt, Jefferson and George Washington. On January 15, 1978, the Mayflower Hotel was demolished in eleven seconds by 150 pounds of explosives.Collection
Woodward Photo CollectionMade/Created
Studio
The Woodward Studio, Inc.Lexicon
Nomenclature 4.0
Nomenclature Secondary Object Term
Photograph, Black-and-WhiteNomenclature Primary Object Term
PhotographNomenclature Sub-Class
Graphic DocumentsNomenclature Class
Documentary ObjectsNomenclature Category
Category 08: Communication Objects