Name/Title
Greenleaf & Crosby BuildingEntry/Object ID
2016.019.024Description
Greenleaf & Crosby Building, corner of Laura and Adams Street (208 North Laura Street)
Architect: Marsh and Saxelbye
Greenleaf and Crosby Company were jewelers, silversmiths and importers of European novelties.
The company was started by Damon Greenleaf from New York in 1867 and established a jewelry store on Bay Street. In 1880, J.H. Crosby joined the company to form Greenleaf and Crosby.
In 1885, the company was considered a "museum of Florida curiosities" including flamingo plumes, seashells, coral, pink curlew wings and alligator heads, eggs and teeth.
The Great Fire of 1901 destroyed the store and the company moved two blocks further down Bay Street to 41 W. Bay Street.
On May 11, 1926 the "Jacksonville Journal" reported that the Company planned to build a six-story building on the northwest corner of Laura and Adams Street. The building was said to have been designed to expand to twelve stories. Prior to receiving the building permanent, the company decided to have the full twelve stories erected on the southern half of the building, instead of both halves of the structure being six-stores. The northern half remains only two-stories high.
The Laura and Adams street facades are extensively decorated with terracotta panels depicting griffins, eagles, urns and floral motifs. The lower facade is highlighted by engaged pilasters and a grand two-story vaulted entrance.Collection
Woodward Photo CollectionMade/Created
Studio
The Woodward Studio, Inc.Lexicon
Nomenclature 4.0
Nomenclature Secondary Object Term
Photograph, Black-and-WhiteNomenclature Primary Object Term
PhotographNomenclature Sub-Class
Graphic DocumentsNomenclature Class
Documentary ObjectsNomenclature Category
Category 08: Communication Objects