Name/Title
Annie Lytle Public School No. 4Entry/Object ID
2016.019.027Description
Annie Lytle Public School ( Public School No. 4)
1011 Gilmore Street (1011 Peninsular Place)
Architect: Rutledge Holmes
After Duval County voters passed a $1,000,000 bond issue in 1915 to build more than a dozen new brick school houses, the first school was known as Public School Number Four.
In 1891, a frame school house was built on this site and wings and extensions were added until it became a large box-like structure named Riverside Park School. It was demolished to make way for the construction of Public School Number Four at a cost over $250,000 in 1917.
The school has a Neo-Classic pedimented portico supported by colossal Doric columns at the entrance, although the portico is an ornametal attachment to the facade. Other decorative features include modillioned cornice that runs around the building. The school had 16 classrooms and served students for 42 years until it was closed as a public school in 1960.
The school was renamed in 1950 to honor Annie Lytle Housh, a teacher and principal of Riverside Grammar and School No. 4. Originally, the school overlooked Riverside Park until the 1950s when the construction of the expressway isolated it.
The building was condemned in 1971 and the Jacksonville Historic Preservation Commission granted landmark status to the school in 2000.Collection
Woodward Photo CollectionMade/Created
Studio
The Woodward Studio, Inc.Lexicon
Nomenclature 4.0
Nomenclature Secondary Object Term
Photograph, Black-and-WhiteNomenclature Primary Object Term
PhotographNomenclature Sub-Class
Graphic DocumentsNomenclature Class
Documentary ObjectsNomenclature Category
Category 08: Communication Objects