Name/Title
The Seminole ClubEntry/Object ID
2016.019.036Description
The Seminole Club
Hogan NW corner of W Duval
(400 N Hogan Street)
Architects: Rutledge Holmes & Arthur Gilkes
Opened in 1903, it was Jacksonville's oldest social club for men and the seventh oldest in the United States until 1988, when women were first admitted to membership.
The building has twice been destroyed by fire, once in 1891 and again in 1901. The new building was completed shortly after the Great Fire and originally only two stories tall. It cost $25,000 to build a rooftop garden and in 1907, the roof garden was removed. A third story was added, providing fifteen rooms for bachelor residences.
The building style is Colonial Revival, as demonstrated by the symmetrical massing and columned verandas.
The building was revived in recent years (2014) and is now known as Candy Apple Cafe.Collection
Woodward Photo CollectionMade/Created
Studio
The Woodward Studio, Inc.Lexicon
Nomenclature 4.0
Nomenclature Secondary Object Term
Photograph, Black-and-WhiteNomenclature Primary Object Term
PhotographNomenclature Sub-Class
Graphic DocumentsNomenclature Class
Documentary ObjectsNomenclature Category
Category 08: Communication Objects