Name/Title
First Methodist ChurchEntry/Object ID
2016.019.041Description
First Methodist Church
Duval Street, northeast corner of Newnan Street
The Methodist seem to have been the pioneers in organized Church work in Jacksonville.
In 1846, the Methodists bought property at the northeast corner of Duval and Newnan from the Presbyterians. The congregation finally outgrew the chapel and erected a much larger church in 1858, and was called St. Paul's.
St. Paul's made it safely through the Civil War and in 1890, the building was sold to the Roman Catholics. The building was moved to the Roman Catholic property across the street in February 1890.
As soon as the lot was clear, work on the foundation for a new brick Methodist Church began. This building opened in August 1891 (before the building was complete) and cost $50,000. This building was called McTyeire Memorial. It was destroyed by the Great Fire of 1901.
The foundation and most of the walls were retained for the building of the church after the fire. The architecture of the tower and roof were changed, but the base outline of the building was the same. The first service in the rebuilt church (pictured) was held April 20, 1902. The name was changed to First Methodist in 1906.
The School of Christian Education building (east of the church) was complete in the fall of 1922.Collection
Woodward Photo CollectionMade/Created
Studio
The Woodward Studio, Inc.Lexicon
Nomenclature 4.0
Nomenclature Secondary Object Term
Photograph, Black-and-WhiteNomenclature Primary Object Term
PhotographNomenclature Sub-Class
Graphic DocumentsNomenclature Class
Documentary ObjectsNomenclature Category
Category 08: Communication Objects