Church of the Good Shepherd

Name/Title

Church of the Good Shepherd

Entry/Object ID

2016.019.083

Description

Church of the Good Shepherd 1100 Stockton Street Architects: JWC Corbusier, Mellen C. Greeley Church of the Good Shepherd began in 1870 as a mission of St. John's Episcopal Church. The first sanctuary was built in 1879 at the corner of Commercial Street (Riverside Ave) and Stonewall Street. In 1893, a new sanctuary was built at Oak and Gilmore Streets, but was destroyed in a fire in 1915. By 1917, a five-stage building project was underway, led by JWC Corbusier, a well known specialist in Gothic ecclesiastical work, joined Greeley to design the complex. The first structure completed was a three-story parrish house, later converted to a gymnasium, followed by Worsham Hall and a swimming pool. On April 8, 1928, the main sanctuary was begun and completed within the year. The sanctuary reflects the Late Gothic Revival Style, with Tudor and lancet archers, ornate windows, carved stone and buttresses. The final phase of the church, the cloister, was not completed in 1981. At 100 years old, Greeley was consulting architect for the construction of the cloister.

Collection

Woodward Photo Collection

Made/Created

Studio

The Woodward Studio, Inc.

Lexicon

Nomenclature 4.0

Nomenclature Secondary Object Term

Photograph, Black-and-White

Nomenclature Primary Object Term

Photograph

Nomenclature Sub-Class

Graphic Documents

Nomenclature Class

Documentary Objects

Nomenclature Category

Category 08: Communication Objects