Name/Title
Downtown Jacksonville looking South, 1910s.Entry/Object ID
2003.001.004Description
Photo of Hemming Park, Snyder Methodist Church, YWCA, and First Christian Church.
Hemming Plaza & the Confederate Monument
Monument designer: George Mitchell
In 1866, five years after the death of Isaiah D. Hart, this land was sold to the city by executors of Hart's estate for a mere $10. It was orignally known as "City Park" and later "St. James Park". During the tourist boom of the 1870's and 1880's, two of Jacksonville's largest hotels, the Windsor and the St. James, overlooked this block.
In 1887, the first city-financed improvements were undertaken, including sidewalks, a fountain and landscaping.
The 1901 Fire destroyed all the trees in the park. Nearly a half century later the oak trees had re-grown only to be chopped down by city workmen to get rid of birds.
In 1978, the grass was removed and the park was redesigned as a plaza.
The most unchanged feature o fthe park is the Confederate Monument in the center. It was unveiled on June 16, 1898, during the reunion of the United Confederate Veterans. In 1899 the City Council officially changed the name to Hemming Park, as a memorial to Civil War veteran Charles C. Hemming, who had donated the monument to the city. T. Frederick Davis reported that during the 1901 Fire, the residents of Downtown piled their household goods at the base of the monument in hopes that they would escape the blaze. Unfortunately, these caught fire and "the cement at the base of the monument showed a reddened glow. The broze soldier at the top stood firm amidst the withering torrent of fire about him." The monument stands today as one of the few remaining survivors of the Great Fire.Collection
Chapin Photographic CollectionLexicon
Nomenclature 4.0
Nomenclature Secondary Object Term
Print, PhotographicNomenclature Primary Object Term
PhotographNomenclature Sub-Class
Graphic DocumentsNomenclature Class
Documentary ObjectsNomenclature Category
Category 08: Communication Objects