Duval Hotel, 1910s.

Duval Hotel, 1910s.

Duval Hotel, 1910s.

Name/Title

Duval Hotel, 1910s.

Entry/Object ID

2003.001.033

Description

110 Hogan Street Duval Hotel The Duval Hotel was originally named the Nichols House, a three-story brick hotel at the corner of Hogan and Forsyth Streets in 1875. W.M. Nichols sold his hotel to J.S. Turner who then leased the property to General B. Lewis. Lewis renamed the hotel to the Duval Hotel. Improvements were made to the building in 1885, only for the hotel to burn in a fire on March 15, 1892. In 1893, the present hotel was built for the management of Dodge & Cullins who opened the new hotel December 11, 1893. This building was not destroyed in the Grea Fire of 1901 adn occupied one of the most historic spots in Jacksonville - a portion of the hotel was constructed on the 1816 homestead of L.Z. Hogans (one of the first homes built within the limits of Jacksonville). This building also sat next to the U.S. Government Building and Post Office. The building was demolished in the 1950s.

Collection

Chapin Photographic Collection

Lexicon

Nomenclature 4.0

Nomenclature Secondary Object Term

Print, Photographic

Nomenclature Primary Object Term

Photograph

Nomenclature Sub-Class

Graphic Documents

Nomenclature Class

Documentary Objects

Nomenclature Category

Category 08: Communication Objects