St. Philips Episcopal Church, 1910s.

St. Philips Episcopal Church, 1910s.

St. Philips Episcopal Church, 1910s.

Name/Title

St. Philips Episcopal Church, 1910s.

Entry/Object ID

2003.001.058

Description

Union and Pearl Street Architect: Henrietta Dozier In about 1872, the Rev. Brook G. White and the Rt. Rev. John Freeman Young, Bishop of the Diocese of Florida, organized and established a mission to serve the Black population. This mission became St. Philip's Episcopal Church. With donations from the community, property was purchased at the corner of Union and Cedar (now Pearl) Streets, and a small frame church was erected. On November 22, 1900, The Rt. Rev. Edwin G. Weed laid the cornerstone for a larger facility. The original frame church was moved back to allow construction of the new church in the original consecrated landmark. On May 3, 1901 the wooden frame church and the rectory were destroyed in the Great Fire of 1901. A parishioner, Mamie Ewart Port, who lived nearby, rushed to the church and retrieved several of the brass pieces and communion vessels, some of which are in use today. The fire brought the St. Philip's building project to an abrupt standstill. It took several years to rebuild the church because of the "pay-as-you-go" plan the members chose. The sanctuary reflects the late Gothic Revival style which was the most popular religious architecture at the turn of the century. Five years after the fire, on July 29, 1906, Bishop Weed preached in the new and rebuilt St. Philip's Church. Services began in the present structure with no windows, pews or electricity. Straight chairs were used for seating, lamplights for seeing, and a pot bellied wood stove for heating.

Collection

Chapin Photographic Collection

Lexicon

Nomenclature 4.0

Nomenclature Secondary Object Term

Print, Photographic

Nomenclature Primary Object Term

Photograph

Nomenclature Sub-Class

Graphic Documents

Nomenclature Class

Documentary Objects

Nomenclature Category

Category 08: Communication Objects