Name/Title
Catherine Street Fire Station #3 Door archway, 1971.Entry/Object ID
826aDescription
The Catherine Street Fire Station, #3 is now known as the Jacksonville Fire Museum and was moved to Metropolitan Park in 1994.
Opened 10 months after the Great Fire of 1901, it replaced the fire station that was originally located on Bay Street. The station was manned by black firemen until 1905, when an all-white contingent took their place.
In 1933, the unit was decommissioned and the building was used as a storage and maintenance facility for the Fire Department. The building was slated for demolition in 1972 to make room for the new Police Administration Building.
The large arched door originally accomodated horse-drawn fire wagons. Star shaped tie rod ends highlight the facade of this old fire station.
The Fire Museum closed for repairs on March 6, 2016 and will reopen in Spring of 2017.Collection
Photographs CollectionLexicon
Nomenclature 4.0
Nomenclature Primary Object Term
PhotographNomenclature Sub-Class
Graphic DocumentsNomenclature Class
Documentary ObjectsNomenclature Category
Category 08: Communication Objects