Name/Title
St. James HotelEntry/Object ID
2020.9.960Tags
St. James Hotel, City Park, St. James ParkDescription
St. James Hotel
In this image, the original construction is on the right, made of wood, and the brick addition is on the left. Also, notice the gazebo in City Park, or St. James Park (now Hemming Park).
The St. James Hotel was the most famous hotel in the South and a tourist mecca and was closed during the winter.
The building was completed and opened in 1869, made of wood, four stories tall, under a French roof. There were 120 guest rooms, hot and cold baths, bowling alleys, and a billiard room. The building fronted Duval Street and extended along Laura 150 feet; in the rear fronting Church Street were the gardens.
In 1872, a three story brick addition was built toward Hogan Street and in 1881, another four story wooden addition was added and built the previous three-story addition up one four (to make the the whole four-stories tall). The French roof on the original unit was removed. The hotel at this time could accommodate 500 guests.
During its lifetime, 1869-1901, the management of the St. James never changed, being continuously under the supervision of J.R. Campbell.
The hotel was destroyed in the fire of 1901, and was not rebuilt. The Cohen building would sit on this site, now Jacksonville's City Hall.Collection
Photographs CollectionLexicon
Nomenclature 4.0
Nomenclature Tertiary Object Term
StereoviewNomenclature Secondary Object Term
Print, PhotographicNomenclature Primary Object Term
PhotographNomenclature Sub-Class
Graphic DocumentsNomenclature Class
Documentary ObjectsNomenclature Category
Category 08: Communication ObjectsSearch Terms
Architectural decorations & ornaments, Architecture, Building, Buildings, Fire, Hotels, Tourism, Tourists