Name/Title
Everett HotelEntry/Object ID
2020.9.955.eTags
Grand National Hotel, Everett HotelDescription
Everett Hotel
In 1873, the Grand National Hotel was built on the site of the old Judson House at the northeast corner of Bay and Julia Streets. At the center of this hotel, was a grand central clock tower was placed. The hotel contained 150 rooms. The hotel did not prove to be a financial success and was closed for the period 1879 - 1881, during that time it was damaged by fire.
In 1881, the remaining property was purchased by Nathaniel Webster, who repaired and refurnished it for about $90,000. It was then it was renamed The Everett. in 1885, the hotel was enlarged with a six-story addition on the Forsyth Street side.
In 1898, the hotel was foreclosed and the Bay Street side was sold to Harry Hasson and kept the name, The Everett, and the Forsyth side was sold to Dr. Neal Mitchell and called The Aragon Hotel.
The property was not burned in the Great Fire of 1901.Collection
Photographs CollectionLexicon
Nomenclature 4.0
Nomenclature Secondary Object Term
Photograph, Black-and-WhiteNomenclature Primary Object Term
PhotographNomenclature Sub-Class
Graphic DocumentsNomenclature Class
Documentary ObjectsNomenclature Category
Category 08: Communication ObjectsSearch Terms
Architectural decorations & ornaments, Architecture, Building, Buildings, Fire, Hotels, Tourism, Tourists