Name/Title
Story of Mayport site of the great modern naval stationEntry/Object ID
Library.582Description
56 pages : illustrations, maps, portraits, plans ; 22cm.
Story of Mayport site of the great modern naval station by Elizabeth Stark.
Site of the great modern naval station of that name.
Cover title.
The reproduction of Mrs. Stark's book is a 1975 Bicentennial project of the Beaches Girl Scouts. This group is deeply grateful to Mr. Ed. Smith for providing his copy of this book for the re-printing.
Summary: Wonderwood by the Sea, Elizabeth Stark's 375-acre estate in East Mayport, eventually grew to more than 20 buildings, including the Ribault Inn, a lodge and dining facility. Her two-story, white stucco manor that overlooked Ribault Bay was known as “Miramar,” which means sea view in Spanish. Just before World War II, the Navy decided to build a base on the site. Navy officials wanted Wonderwood and Ribault Bay as well as other property around Mayport. Mrs. Stark, whose property had been valued at $2 million, was offered $38,000... from https://www.beachesmuseum.org/ elizabeth-starke/
Contents: Chapter one: Admiral Gaspard de Coligny de Chatillon, Admiral of France, outfitted Ribault expeditions -- Capt. Ribault sailed in 1562 to locate land for a French Protestant colony which was named Fort Caroline -- Ribault's journal hidden in British Museum until found by Mrs. Conner -- Ribault's journal -- Ribault's original monument -- Indian Chief Satouriba -- Drinking tea called Casseena -- Mayport 1890 -- 1910-1914 including info. on Mayor Andrew Floyd, Capt. John Daniels, steamer Hessie piloted by Captain Dave Kemps, Dr. Neill Alford, doctor, port physician and quarantine doctor, Mrs. Kathy McCormick was post mistress, store run by Mrs. John Gavagan, her son, Jim Gavagan, was Justice of the Peace for 30 years; Chapter two: Authors journey by covered wagon from New York to Florida and the beginnings of Wonderwood by the Sea, Atlantic Beach Hotel, Mr. Bracket, president of A.B.C. company, Eddie Mier, Keeler place, lawyers Harwick and Jennings, local train called J.M.P. (jump man and push) , Wonderwood fishing pier built by John Tillotson, Captain John, Baron and Baroness DeWitt; Chapter III: Organization of girl scout troop, Cherokee Rose troop 1,1916-1918; Chapter IV: Origin of Ribault monument replica, 1923-1924, Florence Murphy Cooley, Senator Fletcher, Huguenot Walloon tri-centenary with Rev. Stoudt as manager, Col. Gaspard de Coligny, direct descendant of the Admiral,sun rise services held at replica from 1929-1939 by Masons, , Ribault Bay; Chapter V: Wonderwood Riding School and our life at WonderwoodCollection
LibraryLexicon
Nomenclature 4.0
Nomenclature Primary Object Term
BookNomenclature Sub-Class
Other DocumentsNomenclature Class
Documentary ObjectsNomenclature Category
Category 08: Communication ObjectsSearch Terms
Mayport (Jacksonville, Fla.) -- History., Duval County Fla. -- History., Naval Station Mayport (Fla.)., Stark, Elizabeth P., 1876?-1967., Wonderwood by the sea estate (Mayport, Fla.) -- History.Publication Details
Author
Stark, Elizabeth Worthington Philip, 1878-Publisher
Beaches Girl ScoutsPlace Published
* Untyped Place Published
Jacksonville Beach, FLCall No.
F 319.J11 M39 S73 1975