Name/Title
Mirror: Saint John the Evangelist : The church that wouldn't dieEntry/Object ID
2021.59.31Tags
Library newspapersDescription
St. John the Evangelist : The church that wouldn't die by Joe Pickett. This article was submitted to the Public Affairs Office of Naval Station Mayport for approval and publication in the Mirror, the Naval Station newspaper, expected publication June 27, 1989 Typed article with corrections noted. Also have actual newspaper with article dated July 14, 1989. According to Michael V. Gannon's book titled "The Cross in the Sand", the history of the church began when Father Claude M. Pampon (or Rampon), a newly ordained French priest, was sent to Florida in 1836. During his 7 year tenure, and assisted by Father Patrick Hackett, Father Rampon established new mission stations at Black Creek, Mandarin, Picolata, Tampa, and St. Johns Bar (now Mayport). However, Mandarin and Mayport wouldn't see actual construction of a church building until 1858. But according to T. Frederick Davis' "History of Jacksonville", the burning of Mayport occurred in the Spring of 1863 including the mission. Late in the afternoon, on Sunday, March 29, 1863, uncontrolled troops of the 8th Maine and 6th Connecticut regiments rampaged their way through the community. The troops were part of a taskforce of gunboats and troop ships lying at anchor inside the mouth of the river. The Very Rev. Henry Peter Clavreul recorded that he visited St. Johns Bar between August 22 and Sept. 1, 1866. During this brief visit, he administered the last Sacraments to Ignatio Andreu and performed the marriage of James Arnau and Antonio Fatio. Sometime between 1866 and 1870 a second mission church was erected. In 1890 the building was abandoned due to accessibility issues. A new one was erected half a mile farther back from the abandoned church. Prior to the closing in 1890, the Sisters of St. Joseph, a French Order of nuns, purchased several lots on the beach at Mayport. In 1875, they constructed a spacious and comfortable convent. Unfortunately, due to the difficulties of transportation, the sisters were obliged to withdraw. In 1884 the convent was sold to Robert Mickler for $100. Following the closing of the second church, the new one stood for many years until 1940 when it was demolished to make room for the Naval Station.Collection
LibraryLexicon
Nomenclature 4.0
Nomenclature Secondary Object Term
NewspaperNomenclature Primary Object Term
SerialNomenclature Sub-Class
Other DocumentsNomenclature Class
Documentary ObjectsNomenclature Category
Category 08: Communication ObjectsSearch Terms
Mayport (Jacksonville, Fla.) -- History., Naval Station Mayport (Fla.) -- History., Saint John the Evangelist Church (Mayport , Fla.) -- History., Missions -- Florida -- History.Publication Details
Call No.
Newspaper shelf filed by shelf location