Name/Title
Our Springfield heritage : teacher's guideEntry/Object ID
Library.2137Description
33 p. : ill., maps ; 28 cm
Our Springfield heritage teacher's guide by Maria Castro, Janie Jones, Gregory Fickling, Springfield Preservation and Restoration, Inc.
Acknowledgements: Joel McEachin, Preservation Planner; Dora Carver, Executive Director, SPAR;
Summary: A workbook of activities and quizzes designed to present various aspects of the history of Springfield, an historic neighborhood of Jacksonville, Fla.
Contents: Map of Florida -- Map of Jacksonville -- Map of Springfield -- History of Springfield -- Preparing for the history lesson -- Old Water Works Building -- Electric trolleys -- Spanish American War -- 1901 Jax Fire -- Parks -- People -- Jacobs Estate -- Barnett Mansion -- Fire station -- Scottish Rites Temple.
Other information: Aerial view of Springfield, 1893 by Augustus Koch -- Named by C.L. Robinson in 1869 -- 2 theories on name of town -- Placed on National Register of Historic Places in 1987 -- Old Waterworks Building at 100 North Main Street was first major construction project in Springfield built in 1880 s a water pumping station -- In 1893 the electric trolley ran up Main Street to the old Waterworks building with tracks extended to Eighth Street a few years later -- Mr. Backenstoe built an amusement park at the end of the trolley line -- Springfield was designated as the training ground for the Seventh Army Corps during Spanish-American War -- After the fire of 1901, many people fled to safety across Hogan Creek into Springfield -- Parks include Klutho Park and Confederate Park -- People include 2 architects, Henrietta Dozier and Henry Klutho, who designed Springfield's houses -- Jacobs estate designed for George Pittman in 1893, later Henry Jacobs bought the estate while he owned a women's hat shop -- Barnett mansion at 25 East First Street was built in 1901 for banker W.B. Barnett who was founder of Florida's Barnett Bank chain -- Fire Station number 2 at 1355 North Main Street was built in 1909 of yellow brick -- Scottish Rites Temple at 965 Hubbard Street was built in 1926 -- Time line -- Wordsearch -- Drawing of 1217 Boulevard house foyer.Collection
LibraryLexicon
Nomenclature 4.0
Nomenclature Primary Object Term
BookNomenclature Sub-Class
Other DocumentsNomenclature Class
Documentary ObjectsNomenclature Category
Category 08: Communication ObjectsSearch Terms
Springfield (Jacksonville, Fla.) -- History., Jacksonville (Fla.) -- History., Springfield Preservation and Restoration, Inc.Publication Details
Author
Castro, Maria, Jones, Janie, 1951-Publisher
Springfield Preservation and Restoration (SPAR)Place Published
* Untyped Place Published
[Jacksonville, Fla.]Call No.
F 319 .J16 .C37 1991