Exploring the St. Johns River

Name/Title

Exploring the St. Johns River

Entry/Object ID

Library.2313

Tags

Library items added during March 2023

Description

127 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm Exploring the St. Johns River by Andrew R. Nicholas. Exploring the Saint Johns River by Nicholas. Selected contents: Enter the St. Johns River -- Blount Island to Exchange Island -- River City -- Journey South -- To the land of George -- Last of the line. Summary: The St. Johns River is the longest river within the state of Florida. Flowing over 300 miles from Central Florida north to Jacksonville and then east to the Atlantic Ocean, it is a vital natural waterway. The river has both a rich past and a long-standing relationship with the wildlife living in, along, and around it. More than 3.5 million people reside on or near the river, including in the cities of Jacksonville, Green Cove Springs, Palatka, and Sanford. Exploring the St. Johns River shows the human history of this waterway--and the lakes in Central Florida that are part of the river--from early European explorations to the most recent developments of the 21st century. This book was created to showcase the history, ecology, and waterways of the St. Johns River...back cover. Selected photos: People at Merrill-Stevens shipyard for a flag raising ceremony in 1918 (verso of half-title page) -- Headwaters are at Blue Cypress Lake in central Florida, aerial view at mouth in 1951 -- Ribault erected a stone monument near the mouth of the St. Johns river -- St. Johns River before the 20th century was much different from today's river, map of 1853 shows mouth with sandbar -- Sisters Creek with man holding fish caught on Sisters Creek in 1913 -- Clapboard Creek -- Aerial view of Blount Island in 1960s -- Jaxport CruiseTerminal built in 2003 -- Mill Cove -- Broward River -- Ribault River -- Talleyrand Avenue created by Jacob Parker to connect Panama Park to Jacksonville -- Photo of John Elie Mathews -- Hart Bridge -- Pottsburgh Creek -- Arlington River -- Miller Creek -- Capt. James Gilmore Merrill moved to Jax in 1866, his sons took over the business in 1879, 1895 the Merrill-Stevens Engineering Company was incorporated (p.43) -- St. Johns River Shipbuilding Co. was created in 1942 -- USS Orleck -- Jacksonville Landing -- Main Street Bridge -- Photo of John Alsop -- Ferry South Jacksonville -- Clyde Steamship Company -- Riverside began as a Spanish land grant in 1801 by Philip Dell called Dell's Bluff -- Villa Alexandria -- Ortega Bridge builtt in 1908 of wood -- Cedar River -- New Rose Creek -- Goodbys Creek developed in 1766 -- Office of Henry Holland Buckman -- Alpine Groves Park --Irishman George Fleming -- Black Creek -- John Sylvester a steamer buit in 1866 -- Spring Park -- Shanes Bridge -- Trout Creek -- Six Mile Creek -- Fort Picolata -- Tocoi Landing -- Federal Point -- Fort George Island -- Henry Sanford in 1823.

Collection

Library

Lexicon

Nomenclature 4.0

Nomenclature Primary Object Term

Book

Nomenclature Sub-Class

Other Documents

Nomenclature Class

Documentary Objects

Nomenclature Category

Category 08: Communication Objects

Search Terms

Saint Johns River (Fla.) -- History., Saint Johns River (Fla.) -- Pictorial works., Merrill-Stevens Shipbuilding Co., Merrill-Stevens Co., Alsop, John T., 1874-1958., Villa Alexandria (Jacksonville, Fla.)., Ortega River Bridge (Jacksonville, Fla.)., Main Street Bridge (Jacksonville, Fla.).

Publication Details

Author

Nicholas, Andrew R.

Publisher

Arcadia Publishing

Place Published

* Untyped Place Published

Charleston, South Carolina

Call No.

F 317.S2 N53 2023

ISBN

9871467109321