Lighthouses of St. Augustine

Name/Title

Lighthouses of St. Augustine

Entry/Object ID

Library.641

Tags

Library Rare books collection as of June 4 2023

Description

7 leaves ; 28 cm Lighthouses of St. Augustine by John M. (John Michael) Carmody. Marking the entrance to the Fort of St. Augustine, the lighthouse on Anastasia Island has guided coastwise vessels on their course since 1872. This great tower, curiously striped like a stick of old fashioned mint candy, rises from the oaks and cedars about 165 feet into clear air. There is nothing to compare it with, not a hill or a rise of land; not even a tall tree, and therefore, it looks gigantic, a tower built by Titans rather than men. The present lighthouse was built to take the place of an older coquina rock structure commonly known as the "Old Spanish Lookout," or "Old Spanish Lighthouse." Sponsored by Florida State Dept. of Public Instruction. Cover title.Compiled by workers of the Writers' Program of the Work Projects Administration in the State of FLorida. Federal Works Agency, John M. Carmody, Administrator. Work Project Administration, F.C. Harrington, Commissioner; Florence Keer, Assistant Commissioner; Roy Schroder, State Administrator. Reproduced from typescript.

Collection

Library

Lexicon

Nomenclature 4.0

Nomenclature Primary Object Term

Book

Nomenclature Sub-Class

Other Documents

Nomenclature Class

Documentary Objects

Nomenclature Category

Category 08: Communication Objects

Search Terms

Lighthouses -- Florida -- Saint Augustine., Saint Augustine Lighthouse & Museum.

Publication Details

Author

Carmody, John M. (John Michael) 1881-1962

Publisher

Publisher not identified.

Place Published

* Untyped Place Published

Place of publication not identified.

Call No.

Rare Book VK 1025 .S2 W8