St. James Hotel

965

965

Name/Title

St. James Hotel

Entry/Object ID

2020.9.965

Tags

St. James Hotel

Description

St. James Hotel The St. James Hotel was the most famous hotel in the South and a tourist mecca and was closed during the winter. The building was completed and opened in 1869, made of wood, four stories tall, under a French roof. There were 120 guest rooms, hot and cold baths, bowling alleys, and a billiard room. The building fronted Duval Street and extended along Laura 150 feet; in the rear fronting Church Street were the gardens. In 1872, a three story brick addition was built toward Hogan Street and in 1881, another four story wooden addition was added and built the previous three-story addition up one four (to make the the whole four-stories tall). The French roof on the original unit was removed. The hotel at this time could accommodate 500 guests. During its lifetime, 1869-1901, the management of the St. James never changed, being continuously under the supervision of J.R. Campbell. The hotel was destroyed in the fire of 1901, and was not rebuilt. The Cohen building would sit on this site, now Jacksonville's City Hall.

Collection

Photographs Collection

Lexicon

Nomenclature 4.0

Nomenclature Secondary Object Term

Photograph, Black-and-White

Nomenclature Primary Object Term

Photograph

Nomenclature Sub-Class

Graphic Documents

Nomenclature Class

Documentary Objects

Nomenclature Category

Category 08: Communication Objects

Search Terms

Architectural decorations & ornaments, Architecture, Building, Buildings, Fire, Hotels, Tourism, Tourists