Article

Name/Title

Article

Entry/Object ID

2017.030.0810

Scope and Content

This is a news article about an auction of Gold Rush era daguerreotype photographs. It is from a collection owned by Stephen Anaya. Among the collection are three early images of Benicia. The three Benicia daguerreotypes are eighth plate images. One shows the Benicia waterfront called "Gulick's Wharf". Gulick was the name of brothers that lived in Benicia around 1850. They owned the Knickerbocker Emporium on the Benicia wharf. Another photo shows the grave of one of the brothers who died in 1852, Richard Gulick. Two years later his brother John died. They were both buried in the Benicia cemetery but then disinterred and reburied in Brooklyn, NY.

Collection

Benicia Historical Museum Collection