Negative

Origsize: 5 x 8; Origformat: Print-Photographic

Origsize: 5 x 8; Origformat: Print-Photographic

Name/Title

Negative

Entry/Object ID

2004.001.0901

Description

St. Dominic's Church, San Francisco the day of the 1906 earthquake. (Probably not taken on the day of the earthquake. The streets seem too clear to have just had an earthquake.) "San Francisco Earthquake April 18 1906, St Dominics church. The first St. Dominic’s Church, blessed in 1873, was a small, unpretentious wooden church at the corner of Bush and Steiner Streets. To accommodate a rapidly growing congregation, a second, much larger church was built of brick on the same site; this church opened in 1887 but was destroyed in the 1906 earthquake. During the months following the great earthquake, parishioners gathered for Mass outdoors until a third, “temporary” wooden church opened on the Pine Street side of the block.Construction began in 1923 on the current, fourth St. Dominic’s.Church with some destruction."

Collection

Benicia Historical Museum Collection

Made/Created

Artist

Molfino, John

Date made

Apr 18, 1906