Name/Title
Negative, glass plateEntry/Object ID
2004.001.0133Description
The ship the "Charles Van Damme" in drydock in Southampton Bay.
This 1916 ferry boat was originally built to carry cars from Marin to Richmond. Later she worked the Martinez-Benicia run and in 1958 was converted into a restaurant at Jack London Square. In 1959 Donlon Arques bought her at auction and brought her to her final resting place at Gate 6 in Sausalito. Here she become home to Juanita's Kitchen and the infamous "Ark". With the restructuring of the Gates Cooperative, we must strive to protect the last remnants of the Charles Van Damme as well as other artifacts on this historic site. The ferry was the first auto ferryboat in the world. She was built at Robertson Shipyards in Benicia.Collection
Benicia Industrial Collection