Poster

Poster of Post Cards

Poster of Post Cards

Name/Title

Poster

Entry/Object ID

2014.004.0005

Scope and Content

Poster - "Limited Edition Postcard Display - May 1997" from the Benicia Historical Society - 25 Black and White photographs of Benicia Landmarks - Copy 17 of 150 Vertically Row 1 - State Capitol restored, completed on March 15, 1958; Congregational Church built in 1868 half a block from 1st Street on West J Street, in use until 1965 when a new church was built and this one became a private residence; St. Dominic's Church shown replaced the original monastery in 1890; corner view of the Clock Tower which is a memorial to Colonel McAllister, built in 1859; Row 2 - First Street circa 1920 with Majestic Theatre; First Street; First Street of Benicia 1856 with Washington House and Capitol Bldg; California Rex Spray Co. (located where the Marina is now); The Galilee, built by Matthew Turner in 1891 in Benicia; Matthew Turner's Shipyard which opened in 1882 from the end of West 9th Street to 12th St.; Jurgensen's Old Corner Saloon circa 1900 also served as a hotel for railroad passengers and workers; Clocktower Fortress originally known as "the old fort" was finished in 1859; Row 3 - Benicia and Strait of Carquinez circa 1850's, issued for the Sesquicentennial 1947-1997 (should be 1847-1997); State Capitol Building early day sketch along with the adjoining fire house; Capitol Building before restoration circa the 1940's (it was restored in 1958); Commandant's Residence built in the 1800's; Photo of a parade on July 4th, 1911 taken at the west corner of First and I Streets; Solano Hotel built in 1850 on the corner of First and E Streets; The Solano, of Southern Pacific's Fleer was the largest train ferry in the world, it moved trains across the Carquinez strait from December 1879 until October 1930 when the train bridge opened; Row 4 - S.P Navajo Stern-Wheeler built in 1909 transported passengers from San Francisco to Sacramento (shown at a stop in Benicia when it was at its prime); Southern Pacific Railroad Station was part of the transcontinental railroad from 1879 to 1930 (at the turn of the century the depot was moved from Banta CA replacing the old one); Original Pacific Mail Dock and Shops (on East H Street) which were sold to Baker & Hamilton in 1879, then the name was changed to Benicia Agricultural Works and in 1914 changed again to Yuba Manufacturing; SP switch locomotive 1039 at Benicia in 1900 right to left: switchman Dan Barber, fireman Jack DeForest, switchman Charles Spencer, Engineer Charles Wimble, and fireman Jim Fitspatrick; The Clock Tower overlooks the Suisun Bay and Carquinez Strait lost its third floor in an explosion and fire in 1912; Contra Costa #2 Side-Wheeler ferry built in 1914 served as a major link for the railroad between Benicia and Port Costa until 1930; Fishermen's cottages on the waterfront at the end of First Street.

Collection

Benicia Historical Museum Collection