Name/Title
Print, PhotographicEntry/Object ID
1992.039.0020Description
B/W Photograph: Gazebo donated by Southampton Company for the Bicentennial in 1976. When Benicia was founded in 1847, it was barren of trees; only wild grasses and shrubs existed. Dr. James Lloyd Breck, Rector of St. Paul's Episcopal Church, made appeals to his many contacts; in response, trees and saplings were sent to Benicia, many of them planted in the City Park (at one time called Breck's Park).
There's also a newspaper article from the 09/09/1937 Benicia Herald about Rev. Breck and the park.Collection
Benicia Historical Museum Collection