Print, Photographic

405 East H Street Benicia CA  1986

405 East H Street Benicia CA 1986

Name/Title

Print, Photographic

Entry/Object ID

2007.046.0061

Scope and Content

Color Photograph: 405 East H Street Benicia CA Parcel No: 89-064-21 Historic Name; The Starr House The house has been extensively remodeled in recent years. The owner at the time (1986) thought there was a saddle in the attic which formerly belonged to Governor Bigler, who is supposed to have stayed in this house at the time of the inaugural ball, and while the State Legislature convened in Benicia during the period of February 1853 to February 24, 1854. "The Gazette" Vol. III, No. III, Summer 1977, contains a history of this house titled "The Starr House". The house was brought around The Horn and erected here, but the above mentioned history does not say which owners of the land did this. The site was briefly owned by Major Robert Allen in 1851, then Stephen Bishop same year. Horatio Finch owned it in 1857 and sold it to Benicia pioneer Nathan Garretson that same year. For many years the house belonged to the Starr family, among them the Reverend Paul Starr O.P., who resided there for many years, hence it is referred to by the natives as the Old Starr Residence. .

Collection

Benicia Architectural Study - 1989