Print, Photographic

165 East D Street, Benicia CA - front view 1986: Origsize: 3-1/2" x 5"; Origformat: Print-Photographic
165 East D Street, Benicia CA - front view 1986

Origsize: 3-1/2" x 5"; Origformat: Print-Photographic

Name/Title

Print, Photographic

Entry/Object ID

2007.046.0008

Scope and Content

Color Photograph: 165 East D Street, Benicia CA Parcel No. 89-372-24 Block 13, Lot 2 The building was an early brick construction with Carpenter Gothic bargeboard added later. The building was constructed in the 1850's and was razed in 1994. It was known as the "Carr House" and was on the National Register (#HABS CA-2052) The following information is from "The Sentinel", Vol. III, Nov. 3, Summer, 1977: Dr. Voctor Furgeaud bought this in 1847. Fourgeaud was later a member of the State Legislature. Frederick F. Weiman bout if from Fourgeaud in 1853. Sara Carr, wife of Richard Carr, bought it from Weiman. Born in England, Carr came to California by way of Australia and arrived in Benicia in 1848 to become one of Benicia's first entrepeneurs. During his ownership the brick building was constructed. He was once co-owner of the Benicia Water Works and according to some reports, shipped the first load of grain to England on the famous clipper ship "The Republic". According to local tradition, Carr's brick house was once the Custom House when Benicia was a Port of Entry in early days. [that belief is no longer held in many circles in Benicia today] 1901 - Carrs sell to Manual Fraga, businessman 1904 - Fraga sells to Joseph S. Guibbini, manager of Benicia Creamery (famous for Isleton Butter) 1953 - Arthur E. Guibbini inherits. He was manager of Benicia's Bank of America. He was transferred to San Luis Obispo. Arthur's sister and brother-in-law Hester and Tony Le Roy lived there for the rest of their lives. 1972 - George Hill, restoration specialist, bought it. Four color photographs a. front 1986 b. side 1986 c. water tank 1986 d. detatched building One black/white photograph e. "side of house from garden facing west; lump by trellis post below right window is stor door down to cellar; note roof addition of frame building with hipped gable" taken by Nancy Olson in July 1978

Collection

Benicia Architectural Study - 1989