Name/Title
Print, PhotographicEntry/Object ID
2007.046.0055Scope and Content
Color Photograph:
360 East H Street Benicia CA
Parcel No: 80-171-01
Gable Roof Cottage
Historic Name: Mary Ann Reynolds House
This long narrow one-story gable roofed frame residence with raised basement is likely to be an 1850's residence which received a face-lift circa 1899. The front and part of the east side is sheathed in horizontal shiplap and the west side with redwood shingles. The roofing material is compositon. On either side of the centered front door is a double-hung, one0over0one wood sash window. There is a narrow covered porch supported by four turned columns across the front. The interior of this home gives the clue to its dual construction dates. The front two rooms are lath and plaster with bulls-eye molding details. The adjacent two rooms are finished in single wall construction wooden boards and all the door and window trim is hand cut. It is believed that the center two rooms are the original house. There is a rear kitchen and bath adition. To the east of the house is an unusual domed brick cistern.
In the early development of Benicia it is believed that there were a number of two room cottages. This house was claimed in 1867 by Mary Ann Reynolds who was represented by George H Riddell, attorney, who testified that about two-thirds of the lot was igh land, with a house thereon and all well fenced. Prior to the 1930's Reclaimation District the wester side of this lot would have been swampland or wht they called in 1867 "overflowed land".Collection
Benicia Architectural Study - 1989