Name/Title
Print, PhotographicEntry/Object ID
2007.046.0320Scope and Content
Color Photograph
123 West D Street Benicia CA
Parcel Number: 89-174-08
Simple Federalist or Early Italianate Style
Known as The What-Not-Shop
Two Story original simple two over two house is in fair condition with original fireplaces removed. One story addition c. 1930's at rear of building is in deteriorating condition. Various front porches have been added and removed (at least three) but no significant damage resulted. Wood shiplap siding is in fair to good conditon. Low hip roof on two story stucture is in good shape. Plain boxed cornice with sloped soffit and frieze are in good shape. Asphalt shingles are over the orignial roof. Entrance located center front, the original location. Symetrical window pacements flank entry with upper story windows aligned and with a window aligned over entry door on south wall. Rear wall matches front, with exception of no window to match one over doorway. Windows on west and north walls have original wavy glass. Building has planked floor, low wainscoting, deep (6"+) baseboards, and solid wood sheathing inside all walls. No plaster is in evidence.
It is known that a structure did exist on this site in the early 1850's. In July 1867 the corner hotel and "the house behind it" were destroyed by fire. In 1868 the owner sold the lots to D. N. Hastings. Mr. Hastings rebuilt the hotel in its current location. It is uknown as to whether he rebuilt the house, moved another one in to replace it or whether the house now on site was even the one that burned. Because some lot lines have been changed it is indistinct as to whether the building now known as "The What-Not-Shop" was "the house behind the hotel" or an entirely different house beyond the one which burned. What is known is that the building is built in the style of the earliest homes in Benicia, and that it either was built or moved on site in 1868 or is the original 1867 structure. It is also known that D.N. Hastings owned the building and that the Sanborn family also owned it later on.Collection
Benicia Architectural Study - 1989