Name/Title
Print, PhotographicEntry/Object ID
2007.046.0330Scope and Content
Color Photograph
148 West F Street Benicia CA
Parcel Number: 89-173-2 Block 14, Lot 14, E. 50'
This fine example of a two story, rectangular frame Italianate residence has a truncated medium hip roof culminating in a cornice with fascia and brackets. The front door is recessed with transom and is centered. The tall narrow rectangular windows are wood sash double hung with two-over-two panes. Each upper story window has decorative brackets at the earves. The full length front covered veranda is supported by six turned columns. The balustrades are turned spindles with a rectangular design at the railing. Below the veranda roof eaves is an open rectangular pattered screen which repeats that of the railing top. The front steps are stone and there is a cobble stone basement according to the 1919 Appraisal. Between 1886 and 1891 a one story addition was added to the rear of the house. The rustic wood siding is covered with deep gray asbestos horizontal siding. There is a red brick internal chimney.
The "Coates House" is named on the 1886, 1891, and 1899 Insurance Maps and quite possibly was built as a rooming house rather than as a residence. In any case, along with the Ripson House next door this was the residence of school teachers and single professional people. F. Cummings owned bhe property in 1880 and at that time the grounds included two city lots, or 300' by 250'. This appears to be the only unremodeded or moved rooming house remaining from 19th Century Benicia and its architectural integrity, except for the asbestos siding, is intact. J.B.Johnson, City Marshall in 1904, owned the property in 1919, but he did not live there.Collection
Benicia Architectural Study - 1989