Name/Title
Print, PhotographicEntry/Object ID
2007.046.0333Scope and Content
Color photograph
159 West F Sttreet Benicia CA
Parcel Number: 89-115-20 (Block 20, Lot 3, 40")
Common Name: Nilsson, Florence, House
This two story gable roof, frame cottage is located on a slight knoll and was listed on the 1919 Tax Appraisal as a two story, even though it appears to be one story with a raised basement. The lower floor is clad in shiplap siding, the sides and rear of the upper floor is clad in clap board, and the front has redwood shingles -- all are painted white. The doors and windows on the front are slightly off-set from center and have flat plain trim wood sash and molding. The windows on the sides are set-out -- a curious feature of several houses believed to have been constructed at Benicia circa 1848-49. The clap board and the set-out windows may be a distinguishing feature of a pre-fab or of a particular lumber source or builder in the settlement period of Benicia. The two story covered porch circa 1900 has been added across the front, and a rear two story narrow additon has been added sometime after the front porch which is shown on the 1919 Tax Appraisal.
In 1849 Captain E.H. Von Pfister purchased all of Lot 3, Block 20 from Robert Semple and by 1855 he had subdivided the lot into four parcels which were later combined into three parcels. This house, 159 West F and its neighbor, 165 West F are the only remaining houses which artchitecturally fit the early construction in Benicia. The property was purchased by John and Jane Goringe or Garringe in 1855. In 1919 this house,and a very poor condition frame 1-1/2 story house at 149 West F were both owned by C. Mardis.Collection
Benicia Architectural Study - 1989