Print, Photographic

Name/Title

Print, Photographic

Entry/Object ID

2007.046.0334

Scope and Content

Color Photograph 165 West F Street Benicia CA Parcel Number: 89-115-21 (Block 20, Lot 3, W 60') This one story circa 1851 gable roofed frame cottage has the door off center with three flat plain trim windows across the front. The windows are double hung two-over-two wood sash with a shallow sill. The roof material is composition and the wood siding as been covered with gray asbestosshingle. A full length porch asross the front has turned posts and a railing of three open rectangles per section design. The porch is probably and addition added around 1900. There is a baath and kitchen added at the rear. This very simple frame cottage may have been built for E.H. Von Pfister in the early part of 1851 since there were improvements on the west 30' of lot in 1851 Assessment. The property had been sold to John Neville and Edward Derby on 10-28-1851. Neville, Derby and John R. Lewis were merhants and were in business together. There is a sale recorded on 2-16-1855 from Neville and Lewis to Mary Ann Bournes which mentions improvements and a sale of west 30' from Von Pfister to Richard Bournes 2-24-1854. In any case, Richard and May Ann Bournes claim the property in the 1867 book of claims and were awarded the deed. The house was owned by John O. Peterson n 1919. Peterson was an officer on the Steamer (S.P. Railroad) Solano.

Collection

Benicia Architectural Study - 1989