Name/Title
Print, PhotographicEntry/Object ID
2007.046.0335Scope and Content
Color Photograph
173 West F Street Benicia CA
Parcel Number: 89-115-22 (Block 20, Lot 4)
Common Name: Jonik House Historic Name: Borgerson House
This beautifully maintained circa 1894 example of a Queen Anne one story frame home is located near the end of a wide, tree lined dead-end street which is adjacent to the historic commercial district to the east and is near the water on the west. It is rectangular with a medium pitch gable roof culminating in a boxed cornice with frieze. The gable pediments are ornamented with fish scale shingles. A small veranda extends to the east of a central front door.To the west is an octagonal bay window with one-over-one panes in a wood frame sash capped by a repeat of the main gable roof. The house sits on a partial raised basement with some twelve wooden steps with open turned balustrades leading to the porch.
History is all too short on this lot and the one next to it. However, the integrity of the building architecturally is such that it can be considered on the merits of its architecture. The house was owned by John Borgerson in 1919 who, in the 1912-13 Directory is listed as a deckhand on the Steamer Solano. Edgar Bogrerson is listed as a molder for Benicia Iron Works, and Henry Borgerson as an employee of Kullman, Salz and Co. Apparently, Edgar and Henry were the sons of John.Collection
Benicia Architectural Study - 1989