Name/Title
Print, PhotographicEntry/Object ID
2007.046.0340Scope and Content
Color Photograph
135 West G Street Benicia CA
Parcel Number: 89-113-14 (Block 20, Lot 11)
Federalist Style
Known as the Fischer-Hanlon House
The building was originally known as the Eulalia House, located on First Street. It was a two-story structure with a business downstairs (saloon) and rental rooms upstairs. There were open verandas running the full length of the building on both stories. They were enclosed over the years. Circa 1858 the building was purchased by Joseph Fischer and moved to West G Street. He was a local butcher and quarry owner. The building was in disrepair, so Mr. Fischer hired men to fix it. The Fischer children lived in the home and made repairs and remodeled as was needed. In 1968, unable to take care of the home any longer, the two remaining children/women donated the property and 80% of the artifacts to the State of California. It was 1975 before funds were provided by the State to restore the home to represent the era of the 1880's. The State accepted the gift as it gave the State the opportunity to show how a family repaired a former business building into a lovely home and the family were local businesspeople, not wealthy but with middle class values, as are most of the visitors to the Fischer Hanlon House. The house opened for tours on Admission Day, September 9th, 1976.Collection
Benicia Architectural Study - 1989