Name/Title
SpeechEntry/Object ID
2019.021.0061Scope and Content
This is a copy of a speech given probably by Col. Wells on 10/05/1961 to an unknown audience. The pages are numbered 1-4 and 9 so part of the speech is missing. The speech starts by talking about the closure of the Benicia Arsenal "slated" for March 31, 1964.
He talks about the site originally being infantry post started by Silas Casey in 04/1849. The infantry stayed on the site until 1898.
On 01/1851 Brevet Captain Charles P. Stone set off for Benicia to establish the "California Ordnance Depot" in Benicia on 252 acres of land. In April, 1852 it was re-designated "Benicia Arsenal".
In 1924 the Benicia Arsenal and the Benicia Barracks were officially combined as a single entity even though the troops had long since departed.
During WWI arsenal acreage increased to 542 acres and expanded again for WWII to 2,200 acres.Collection
Benicia Historical Museum Collection