Cupboard, Press

Object/Artifact

-

Planting Fields

Name/Title

Cupboard, Press

Entry/Object ID

1955.002.002

Description

A jointed oak court cupboard, probably a West Country (Welsh?) "cwpwrdd tridarn", in three parts, with later additions and restorations, having molded, straight-edge cornice, over a flat carved frieze. The frieze, suspending at each end an acorn-turned finial, with stylized, flat-carved curved design, centered carved initials and date: "WMB 1672." The frieze, over two carved recessed-paneled cupboard doors. Centered by a similarly carved recessed-panel; the lower part of the cupboard, outset with flat, stylized-carved molding at medial height and continuing to the side stiles, the stiles centering two recessed-panel doors, over a single recessed-panel door; the whole supported on blocked legs, formed by the continuation of the side stiles, nicely patinated throughout, recessed-panel sides; the two uppermost cupboard doors have hand wrought iron locks of the period. Butterfly hinges appear to be of the period, but are replacements. 1982 attached doc by Lorraine Gilligan notes "Looking into upper section on R side a panel has been replaced with stained plywood. Repair appears to have been made to cabinet door on right side of mid section." Requires further inspection to confirm as of Feb 2025, EL

Cataloged By

Cannarsa

Acquisition

Accession

1955.002.002

Source or Donor

Coe, William Roberston

Acquisition Method

Found in Collection

Made/Created

Date made

1672

Place

Location

Wales

Notes

Date: 1672-18th Century

Lexicon

Nomenclature 4.0

Nomenclature Secondary Object Term

Cupboard, Press

Nomenclature Primary Object Term

Cupboard

Nomenclature Sub-Class

Storage & Display Furniture

Nomenclature Class

Furniture

Nomenclature Category

Category 02: Furnishings

Dimensions

Height

69-1/2 in

Width

54 in

Material

Wood: Oak, Wood, Metal, Cast Iron

Location

Location

Room

Dining Room

Building

Coe Hall

Category

Permanent

Date

August 16, 2023

Location

Room

Dining Room

Building

Coe Hall

Category

Permanent

Inventory

Inventory Project

INV2024.1

Inventoried By

Amanda Massimillio

Inventoried Date

Jun 26, 2024

Inventory Project

INV2024.1

Inventoried Date

Apr 22, 2024

Inventoried By

Leger

Inventoried Date

Jul 7, 2023

Condition

Overall Condition

Good

Maintenance

Maintenance History

Date

Aug 14, 2006

Notes

Replaced rotten, worm eaten lower left side, repaired broken doors and hinges, cleaned dirty finish (with other objects) for $3475 on 5/19/1987 by Peter Arkell, Cabinet Maker, 4 Beaver Rd., Brandford, CT 06405. 488-6754.

Valuations

Valuation Type

Appraisal

Estimator

J. Badami

Date

Apr 3, 2004

Notes

Min. Value: 12000

Provenance

Notes

Collected By: William Robertson Coe William Robertson Coe Planting Fields Foundation Removed from Coe Hall to Coe Found. offices, NYC, 1957. Returned 1974 to Coe Hall (according to M. Pettet) - noted by Lorraine Gilligan 1982 in attached doc

General Notes

Note

Notes: Butterfly hinges appear to be of the period, but are replacements. Status: OK

Note

Pictured in March 1921 architectural record in article "The Residence of William R. Coe, Esq., Oyster Bay, LI." by John Taylor Boyd, Jr. p. 206.

Created By

admin@catalogit.app

Create Date

August 14, 2006

Updated By

Emily Leger

Update Date

February 14, 2025