Old Ledger Rich in History of Historic Dumfries Town

THE new 60,000 Kw,
Possum Point power station,
near Quantico, Va., 
just completed and put into
service, is No. 1 project 
in a five-year construction
program now in progress 
on the Vepco System.

THE new 60,000 Kw, Possum Point power station, near Quantico, Va., just completed and put into service, is No. 1 project in a five-year construction program now in progress on the Vepco System.

Name/Title

Old Ledger Rich in History of Historic Dumfries Town

Cataloged By

Adam Kitchen

Publication Details

Publication Type

Newspaper

Publisher

Manassas Messenger

Publication Language

English

Transcription

Transcription

12 THE MANASSAS MESSENGER, Friday, April 29, 1949 OLD LEDGER RICH IN HISTORY OF HISTORIC DUMFRIES The following account, by R. W. Merchant, appeared in the Richmond News Leader in 1910 - Editor's Note At the head of Quantico Creek in Prince William County, Va., is situated the town of Dumfries. Replete with landmarks and buildings of colonial days, it claims to have been the first incorporated town in the state, and next in age of settlement to Jamestown. It was one of the original ports of entry and the chief tobacco mart of Northern Virginia in the seventeenth century. In the latter part of the century, the town boasted of a banking institution, a theatre and numerous manufacturing industries. Quantico Creek, a tributary of the Potomac, was at that time navigable for vessels as far as Quantico Mills, at which point large quantities of grain from the fertile fields of Virginia, into flour for the English market. The stream which bore large vessels, with full sails to the breeze to this mill, is now inadequate for the navigation of a small row boat. From an old day book and ledger of Richard Dunlop, ancestor of the Dunlops of Richmond, and which is now owned and carefully preserved by L. E. Merchant, a resident of the old town, it is shown that considerable business was done at Dumfries with the towns of Alexandria and Portsmouth. In these books are also recorded purchases of George Washington before he became president of the United States. Under date of Jan. 19, 1787, are entered to the debit of George Washington: "Four yards superfine black cloth, one-half dozen large and two dozen small leather-head buttons, four keins of silk, four sticks of [twist?], one fourth yard buckram and three dozen thread, amounting to [?]7. 2s. It has been handed down from generation to generation that the foregoing articles of purchase were converted into the [?oat?] which General Washington wore when he presided over the constitutional convention in Philadelphia in the month of May following. In the same day book are recorded purchases of Henry Washington and Bailey Washington. One entry against the latter is for thirty gallons of rum, amounting to [?]6 15s and an extra charge of 7s 6d for container. The ledger referred to does not show a single unsettled account, and only one with a debit of footing of 116 4s is balanced by a loss [?]1 8s 8d. The balance amount in the back of the ledger shows a net gain at the time of closing of [?]11,394 17s 4d. In this ledger are recorded amounts against John Farront, Cedar Run; Richard Blow, Portsmouth; Thomas Burroughs, Freerick Couty; John and Har- Alexandria; James Reid, William Pickett, George Farrow, Fredrick County; John and Harrison Hooe and Landon Carter. In the old church yard, on the outskirts of the town, lie buried the ancestors, no doubt, of those who have risen to the highest pinnacle of fame in managing and conducting the affairs of church and state. In this silent and ancient city of the dead, and in the shadow of the little Episcopal church, erected upon the foundation of the old colonial church, in which Washington often worshipped, were laid to rest the ancestors of the Vanderbilts. Upon one of the moss-covered tomb-stones is inscribed the name of Richard Dunlop, Greek professor of Glasgow, Scotland, who died Dec. 21, 1739, at the age of eighty-two years. This history reveals, was the eminent father of the merchant from whose books of account we have quoted. In 1822 the county seat was removed from Dumfries to Brentsville, and in the spring of 1837 a fire swept over the town, destroying the principal places of business, the tobacco warehouses, the theatre, bank and Masonic Temple. This great destruction was a blow from which the town never recovered. It marked the beginning of its downward march to what is now a small village, nestling at the foot of neighboring hills; but numbered in the population of the old town and vicinity are some of the best and most hospitable people in the county. DUMFRIES NOTES THE ORIGINAL Jail House key from the old Dumfries Town Jail is in the possession of Mrs. Warfield Brawner, of Dumfries. They key, now rusted, is over six inches in length. Once owned by Luther E. Merchant it survived the disastrous fire which wrecked much of the remains of the old town on January 14, 1927. THOUGH ONCE the chief port in America, the Business half of Dumfries now consists only of six tourist homes and three general stores. BUT THE FUTURE looks bright, with the new Virginia Electric And Power Company's multi-million dollar Possum Point power plant situated nearby. To house plant employees, a 25-unit housing development is under way in the "Rose Hill" section of Dumfries. THE SPEEDY decline of the port of Dumfries from its glory of the late eighteenth and early' nineteenth centuries can be realized by the fact that seventy five years ago only three general stores remained - the proprietors being George M. Ratcliffe, Luther E. Merchant and Robert King. We Salute DUMFRIES on its 200th ANNIVERSARY A MILESTONE IN PRINCE WILLIAM COUNTY HISTORY NATIONWIDE GROCERY Sticks Bourne, Prop. Quantico, Va. Congratulations TO DUMFRIES ON ITS BI-CENTENNIAL TRIANGLE - DUMFRIES VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT TRIANGLE - DUMFRIES HOME DEMONSTRATION CLUB Congratulation To Dumfries (Site Of Possum Plant) On Its 1749 Bi-Centennial 1949 MORE ELECTRIC POWER FOR VEPCOLAND! THE FIRST unit in the $100,000,000 five-year construction program on the Vepco System - the new 60,000 Kw. Possum Point power station, on the Potomac River near Quantico, Va. - has just just been completed and is now "on the line." This is one of six projects embraced in the current construction program. The others to follow are - ...An addition to the CHESTERFIELD station, below Richmond, 60,000 Kw. capacity, for completion in September, 1949; ...An addition to the BREMO station on the James River above Richmond, 60,000 Kw. capacity, for completion in 1950; ...An addition to REEVES AVENUE station in Norfolk, 40,000 Kw. capacity, for completion in 1951; and ...An addition to the recently completed POSSUM POINT station of identical capacity as the original installation, 60,000 Kw., for completion in 1951, is now under consideration. Also, Vepco has applied for a Federal license to construct a hydro-electric station on the Roanoke River near Roanoke Rapids, N. C., at a cost of approximately $19,000,000. Construction is expected to begin promptly and completion is scheduled for 1952. The contract has already been let, subject to the license being granted by the Federal Power Commission. When completed, this station should add an addi- More electric power is bringing more industrial progress and more prosperity and comfortable living to more people throughout Vepcoland. VEPCO VIRGINIA ELECTRIC AND POWER COMPANY

Transcriber

Adam Kitchen

Language

English

Created By

lbpskydra94@gmail.com

Create Date

November 13, 2025

Updated By

lbpskydra94@gmail.com

Update Date

November 20, 2025